Japan on a Shoestring – Kyoto to Osaka
Transport yourself to somewhere truly otherworldly. This quick six-day tour takes you through the very best of southern Japan so you can see the top hits, without sacrificing your wallet. Immerse yourself in the serenely traditional culture of Kyoto before learning about Hiroshima’s fascinating, and fraught, history. Wrap up your adventure in Osaka, where both delicious cuisine and stellar nightlife are bountiful. Your time in Japan might be short, but none of it will go to waste. It’s all waiting for you.
Miyajima Island visit. Free time in Hiroshima and Osaka. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
1. Core Tour
Please note that this tour combines with other G Adventures tours to form a longer combo tour. As such, the CEO and some group members on your tour may have previously been travelling together with G Adventures, prior to Day 1 of your tour. Likewise, the CEO and some group members may be continuing on together on another G Adventures tour, after your trip concludes.
Group members on the combo tour, have a 7-day rail pass included in their tour. It will be valid for a portion of your tour and you’ll notice it grants them unlimited access to some transport links. If you’re interested in exploring more of Japan with G Adventures, be sure to check out our ‘Epic Japan’ tour!
Group Size Notes
Max 16, avg 14.
No meals included
Train, ferry, walking.
Hostels (5 nts, multi-share).
• Flight info (required) (Printouts of e-tickets may be required at the border)
• Insurance info (required) (With photocopies)
• Passport (required) (With photocopies)
• Required visas or vaccination certificates (required) (With photocopies)
• Vouchers and pre-departure information (required)
• Binoculars (optional)
• Camera (With extra memory cards and batteries)
• Cash, credit and debit cards
• Day pack (Used for daily excursions or short overnights)
• Ear plugs
• First-aid kit (should contain lip balm with sunscreen, sunscreen, whistle, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, bandaids/plasters, tape, anti-histamines, antibacterial gel/wipes, antiseptic cream, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, rehydration powder, water purification tablets or drops, insect repellent, sewing kit, extra prescription drugs you may be taking)
• Flashlight/torch (Headlamps are ideal)
• Fleece top/sweater
• Locks for bags
• Long pants/jeans
• Outlet adapter
• Personal entertainment (Reading and writing materials, cards, music player, etc.)
• Reusable water bottle
• Small travel towel
• Toiletries (Preferably biodegradable)
• Watch and alarm clock
• Waterproof backpack cover
• Windproof rain jacket
Minimum age of 18 years for this trip.
Check-in times and baggage allowances/restrictions vary by airline and can change at any time. For the most up-to-date information for your flight, please contact your airline. We recommend checking in online in advance to avoid potential delays at the airport.
PRODUCT_LINE: AJKO, ID: 24816
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.
Day 1 Kyoto
We highly recommend booking pre-accommodation to fully experience this metropolis.
Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Kyoto/Hiroshima
Travel to Hiroshima and opt to visit the Peace Park and Museum to learn more about the tragic history of this city.
Bullet train (2.75 hour(s))
Day 3 Hiroshima
Take a ferry to the sacred island of Miyajima to see the famous floating torii gate and meet the friendly local deer. Opt to go for an easy hike around Mt Misen, and be sure to sample some oysters – a regional specialty.
Miyajima Island Visit
Day 4 Hiroshima/Osaka
Osaka has heaps to offer including Osaka Castle Park, Shinsaibashi shopping street, and the Dotombori Bridge. Osaka is a unique culinary destination – be sure to try “takoyaki” the city’s famous squid snack or opt for a group meal of “kushikatsu.”
Bullet train (3.00 hour(s))
Day 5 Osaka
Get out and explore the city. Opt to tour a ramen museum, visit the Osaka castle, relax in one of Nakazakicho’s artsy cafés, or browse Umeda’s many shops. Be sure to experience Osaka’s buzzing nightlife on a final night out with the group.
Day 6 Osaka
Depart at any time. We highly recommend booking post-accommodation to fully experience this vibrant city.